Chris Gibson is Professor of Human Geography and Director of the University of Wollongong’s Global Challenges Program.
Authored and Edited Books:
- Warren, A and Gibson, C (2014) Surfing Places, Surfboard Makers: Craft, Creativity and Cultural Heritage in Hawai’i, California and Australia, University of Hawaii Press, Honolulu. ISBN: 978-0-8248-3943-7 (Pbk); 978-0-8248-3828-7 (Hbk)
- Gibson, C, Farbotko, C, Gill, N, Head, L and Waitt, G (2013) Household Sustainability: Challenges and Dilemmas in Everyday Life, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, UK. ISBN 978-1-78100-20-7; E-ISBN 978-1-78100-621-4
- Gibson, C (ed) (2012) Creativity in Peripheral Places: Redefining the Creative Industries, Routledge, London and New York. ISBN: 978-0-415-69668-5
- Gibson, C and Connell, J (2012) Music Festivals and Regional Development in Australia, Ashgate, Farnham. ISBN: 978-0-7546-7526-6
- Gibson, C and Connell, J (eds) (2011) Festival Places: Revitalising Rural Australia, Channel View, Bristol. ISBN: 978-1-84541-166-4 (Pbk); 978-1-84541-167-1 (Hbk)
- Gibson, C and Connell, J (2005) Music and Tourism, Channel View Press, Clevedon and Buffalo, NY. ISBN: 1-873150-93-8 (Hbk); 1-873150-92-x (Pbk); 1-873150-94-6 (Elec.)
- Dunbar-Hall, P and Gibson, C (2004) Deadly Sounds, Deadly Places: Contemporary Aboriginal Music in Australia, UNSW Press, Sydney.
- Connell, J and Gibson, C (2003) Sound Tracks: Popular Music, Identity and Place, Routledge, London and New York ISBN: 9780415170277 (HBK); 9780415170284 (PBK)
- Gibson, C (in press) ‘Material inheritances: how place, materiality and labor process underpin the path-dependent evolution of contemporary craft production’, Economic Geography.
- Gibson, C, Head, L and Carr, C (2015) ‘From incremental change to radical disjuncture: rethinking household sustainability practices as survival skills’, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 105, 2, 416-424.
- Gibson, C (2015) ‘Negotiating regional creative economies: academics as expert intermediaries advocating progressive alternatives’, Regional Studies, 49, 3, 476-479
- Carr, C and Gibson, C (2015) ‘Geographies of making: rethinking materials and skills for volatile futures’, Progress in Human Geography, DOI: 10.1177/0309132515578775
- Gibson, C (2014) ‘Souvenirs, materialities and animal encounters: following Texas cowboy boots’, Tourist Studies, 14, 3, 286–301.
- Gibson, C and Warren, A (2014) ‘Making surfboards: emergence of a trans-Pacific cultural industry’, Journal of Pacific History, 49, 1, 1-25
- Gibson, C (2013) ‘Music festivals and regional development policy: towards a festival ecology, Perfect Beat: The Pacific Journal of Research Into Contemporary Music and Popular Culture, 14, 2, 140-157
- Head, L, Farbotko, C, Gibson, C, Gill, N and Waitt, G (2013) ‘Zones of friction, zones of traction: the connected household in climate change and sustainability policy’, Australasian Journal of Environmental Management, 20, 4, 351-362
- Warren, A and Gibson, C (2013) ‘Making things in a high-dollar Australia: the case of the surfboard industry’, Journal of Australian Political Economy, 71, 26-50
- Gibson, C (2012) ‘Cultural Economy: Achievements, Divergences, Future Prospects’, Geographical Research, 50, 3, 282–290
- Gibson, C, Carr, C and Warren, A (2012) ‘A country that makes things?’, Australian Geographer, 43, 2, 109-113.
- Head, L and Gibson, C (2012) ‘Becoming differently modern: geographic contributions to a generative climate politics’, Progress in Human Geography, 36, 6, 699-714
- Klocker, N, Gibson, C and Borger, E (2012) ‘Living together, but apart: Material geographies of everyday sustainability in extended family households’, Environment and Planning A, 44, 2240-2259
- Gibson, C, Head, L, Gill, N and Waitt, G (2011) ‘Climate change and household dynamics: beyond consumption, unbounding sustainability’, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers, 36, 1, 3-8
- Gibson, C (2010) ‘Geographies of tourism: (un)ethical encounters’, Progress in Human Geography, 34, 4, 521-527
- Gibson, C, Waitt, G, Walmsley, J and Connell, J (2010) ‘Cultural festivals and economic development in regional Australia’, Journal of Planning Education and Research, 29, 3, 280-293
- Gibson, C (2009) ‘Geographies of tourism: critical research on capitalism and local livelihoods’, Progress in Human Geography, 33, 4, 527-534